- V V Shirwadkar / “Kusumagraj” is a gem of a person, a poet, a social and cultural personality born in Nashik.
- The original name of V V Shirwadkar was Gajanan Ranganath Shirwadkar that changed after after adoption.
- He was born on 27th February 1912 in Pune.
- Kusumagraj completed his primary education in Pimpalgaon and high school education in New English School, now J.S. Rungtha High School of Nashik. He then passed matriculation from Bombay University.
- His poems and articles were first published in “Balbodhmewa ” magazine when he was hardly 17 years old. Later these were published in “Ratnakar” magazine.
- In 1932, he participated in the “Satyagraha” for allowing untouchables to enter Kala Ram Temple.
Kusumagraj had no looking back, he began writing poems, stories, plays for the news papers like Weekly Prabha, Sarathi, Navyug etc.
- Some of this well acclaimed poem collections are “Vishakha”, “Marathi Mati”, “Swagat”, “Himraesha”, “Yayati Ani Devayani”, “Veej Mhanali Dhartila”.
- His eye-opening play “Natsamrat” which fetched him the Sahitya Academy Award in 1974, is regarded as a milestone by the Marathi population till date.
- The other awards confernend on Kusumagraj include : Ram Ganesh Gadkari Award, honourable degree of D.Lit. from the Poona University, Sangeet Natya Lekhan Award, Dnyanpeeth Award and above all the Padmabhushan.
- This great personality left us on 10 March 1999.
- Manufacturer Nashik : Explore Nasik – City , Trade, Business and much more- Register Free to become a part of it.
Please feel free to write us for giving your any valuable suggestion / feedback / comments etc.